Friday, May 29, 2009

SOPAC Residency Update

SOPAC Residency Update
from Chun-Yu Lin


I have been having a great time teaching and sharing my dance experience with the kids at SOPAC. Although we only have one hour each week, they always have so much fun dancing until the last minute and don't want to finish. I start my class with breathing exercises to concentrate and gather their energy. We follow with some feet, torso and hand exercises in the center and cross-floor movement such as running, turning and jumping. The dance technique I have been teaching them is based on Chinese modern dance, and it's a fusion of both western modern dance and eastern Chinese dance. I also give them some movement phrases from Nai-Ni's repertories as examples, such as Raindrops and Unfolding, so that they can experience what Chinese modern dance is. Recently, I gave them a small movement phrase which I made up for them. It's pretty modern and involves some floor work. I have been adding more and more each week, so they can slowly build up their memory and the strength of their bodies.

No comments: